*** DISCLAIMER: This blog post contains links to products that I have and use. These are not affiliate links, and I do not get any money for any click-throughs or product promotions; the products we bought ourselves and I recommend them only because we have used them and they work for us***
So – We are just back from Cambodia a couple of days ago! With a 7 month old! (Cue surprised and quizzical looks). Are we crazy? Maybe.
On a more serious note, we took all possible precautions, got all possible vaccinations and it’s not as dramatic and crazy as it sounds. And whilst I was prepared for hell with a small child on a long-haul flight, I was also prepared to be presently surprised, as our Christian tends to be pretty laid back and impresses most who meet him.
What was most frustrating about packing was that a lot of the stuff for Christian we couldn’t pack until the night before we left, as a lot of it was stuff that we need/ use for him daily, like his toys and playmat, changing gear and our first aid kit.
I’ll do a more in-depth post about the journey and holiday itself later, but for now, here’s what our packing list looked like from lots of research on the topic!
Hand Luggage Packing List:
- Factor 50 suncream and Insect Repellant
- Baby First Aid Kit: calpol, calprofen, dentinox, savlon, talc, infacol.
- Toys (Bunny soft toy, knitted lovey, teethers)
- Baby change gear in backpack
- Passport photos (for visas when we land)
- Travel insurance docs
- Change of clothes for me; change of clothes (shorts & T shirt for arrival in high temps) for Christian.
- Blanket for travelling
- Compact pram (We have the mothercare xss stroller which was great to even use as a seat for him when we were in cafe’s and restaurants to allow me to be hands-free – Christian wasn’t great at sitting up in a high chair at this point.)
- Ipad/ Phone/ Headphones
- Dummies for sleep/ take off and landing to help with air pressure changes
- Light conservative clothes (Craig, Sarah, Christian)
- Nursing cover
- Toiletries (Deodorant, limited makeup, aftersun)
- Swimwear & swim nappies
- Baby monitor
- Breast Milk Bags, Pump, Bottle
- Nest for co-sleeping if necessary (one of the most useful baby things we have!)
- Koo-Di cot (these are amazing even if we didn’t end up using it a whole bunch!)
- Baby sling/ carrier – Useful for going everywhere and anywhere, as most places in Cambodia aren’t pram friendly and you can’t use a car seat in Tuktuks and Passapp’s!! We didn’t even bother bringing the car seat with us as our in-laws had warned us it would be bulky and awkward to travel with, to ultimately be seldom used.
Our in-laws managed to get a hold of mosquito nets, toys, a high chair and bouncer for us, as well as a travel cot which we ended up not using but good to have.
What did you find were the absolute essentials for travelling with a baby? What could you have done without?
Keep your eyes peeled for a blog on the trip itself coming soon!